Workers Compensation 101

« Back to Home

What To Do When A Car Accident Renders You Paralyzed

Posted on

Paralysis by car accident is very common. A high percentage of those living with paralysis in the U.S. were paralyzed by a spinal cord injury caused by a car accident. If you become paralyzed in a car accident, here is what you need to do next.

Lawyers Can Meet with You Where It Is Most Convenient

Given the physical state of paralyzed car accident victims after the accidents, many personal injury lawyers and Social Security lawyers are willing to meet with you and family members when and where it is most convenient for you. These lawyers will discuss what to do and how to proceed with your cases going forward, should you choose to hire them when you initially meet. In the meantime, it is advisable that you do what you can and what you need to do to heal. 

File a Car Accident/Personal Injury Lawsuit Against the Driver Responsible

First and foremost (and as soon as you are able), file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver responsible. (Spouses or adult children can file on your behalf if you are unable to speak or comprehend what is happening.) This initial money will help pay for your medical bills and care until your Social Security Disability money comes through. 

File a Social Security Disability Claim

Clearly, as a person who has recently become partially or completely paralyzed, you are unable to work. You may be unable to work until you have completed enough physical therapy to regain control of your upper body, or you may never regain control of any part of your body, depending on the level of paralysis. That said, you are entitled to file for Social Security Disability funds.

Be sure you hire a Social Security lawyer to defend your claim, as almost all claims are initially denied on the first application. Even obvious cases of disability are denied on the first application attempt.

A Family Member Will File For You

In cases where the car accident victim is in a coma or unable to move, comprehend, or speak, a family member is able to file lawsuits on your behalf. Before that can take place, the family member either has to be married to you or file for personal, medical, and financial guardianship of you. The courts must award the full guardianship in order for a family member to pursue lawsuits and file for Social Security Disability funds on your behalf.