7 Steps To A Successful Demand Letter
If you are the victim of a careless driver and are seeking compensation, the demand letter is a powerful tool in your fight to be fairly compensated. This document sums up all the important aspects of your personal injury case, from your medical treatment to your demands. Whether you are on your own, or represented by a personal injury attorney, the importance of this letter cannot be overstated. Read on for 7 steps to a successful demand letter.
1. If your demand letter is complete and convincing, you may avoid expensive and time-consuming litigation by triggering a settlement offer from the other side.
2. Make sure to refer back to any notes, documents, reports and receipts to refresh your memory of the accident so that your demand letter is complete and accurate.
3. Though it may be difficult to re-live the memory, cast your thoughts back to the day of the accident to ensure that you properly communicate the degree of pain, suffering and inconvenience you have suffered as a result of the accident.
4. Include mention of any supporting documentation, such as witness statements and police reports, when creating the letter.
5. It's not enough to know that you are not at-fault; you must make certain that you clearly deny any fault for the accident. If there is a possibility that you share partial fault, allow that aspect to be addressed at settlement negotiations.
6. Stick to factual information and leave emotional statements and pleas out of the letter.
7. Most good demand letters include the following:
- A summary of injuries, including the effects that the injuries continue to have on you and your family's life.
- A list of all medical treatments, tests and procedures with the associated costs.
- A list of lost wages so far and an estimate of future loss.
- A list of personal property lost and the costs.
- The demand. What you feel that you are entitled to as a result of the accident and why you are entitled to that sum. Be sure to inflate this figure a little to allow room for negotiations.
- The actions that may follow if your demands are met, such as taking legal action through the courts, and when you expect to hear from your demands.
A successful demand letter can pave the way for negotiations to begin, so make sure that you create a letter that is concise, professional and complete. You can count on a personal injury attorney to not only produce a convincing demand letter, but to take the stressful burden of settlement negotiations from you and work hard to get you the compensation that you are entitled to receive for your injuries.
To learn more, contact a personal injury attorney like Charles Aaron PLC.